Humor is such a powerful (yet underrated) trait. Humor can really help you get through some tough times.
- Humor relieves tension during crises. It lightens the mood and puts people at ease; when there’s tension in the room, humor helps you and the others to relax, think more clearly, and make better decisions.
- Humor softens the blow of bad news. Using humor to find the bright side of a situation doesn’t solve the problem, but it provides bubble wrap to soften the blow.
- Humor creates an instant perspective shift. When we laugh at something (even bad news), it’s our brain’s way of saying, “I’ve never thought of it that way before.”
- Humor is great for connecting. When we laugh and have fun together it facilitates a sense of connection. – It gets people to root for you. People like folks with a sense of humor.
- Humor is motivating. A sense of humor helps to keep folks motivated, especially when times are hard.
To build your sense of humor, end every day by finding something humorous in your day. If you really can’t find anything, then find a joke online. Don’t go to sleep until you have laughed. At least a tiny chuckle.