Studies are showing that thinking and speaking in positive language can literally change your brain. Hearing and using positive language can make you feel great—physically, mentally and emotionally. On the flip side, negative language can block the brain’s natural de-stress mechanisms.
It might be worthwhile to think about some phrases you use often and replace them with more positive ones. While the following phrases are not inherently negative, they do have words that are negative. Look through these and notice the subtle difference between the way the words land on the listener.
– Why not? → Sounds good
– No problem → Definitely!
– Can’t complain → Everything’s going well, thanks
– I missed you so much! → It’s so great to see you!
– Not bad → I’m enjoying this
– Don’t hesitate to call me → Please call me when you need something
– I’m tired → I need to rest
– I fail to understand why → I’m curious about
What other phrases (cliches) can be replaced with more positive words?